Thursday, January 3, 2008

Still ENFP after 30 odd years

My daughter Julia had posted her personality profile on her blog from an online - Facebook version of the Myers-Briggs personality test. Which inspired me to take it again.

I have an interesting history with all these variations on the classic Myers-Briggs personality test. Seems like I have taken it on and off ever since the 1970s. I have almost always come in as ENFP (extroverted vs. introverted, intuitive vs. sensing, feeling vs. thinking, perceiving--vs. judging, as described below, or in job oriented versions, usually recommended to be a teacher or counselor (surprise!--since I spend a lot of time teaching both undergrads and grads, and counseling grad students, both of which I really enjoy.) Conveniently enough, my wife Sandy tests out pretty much the same way, sometimes moving into INFP (more introvert, less extrovert, but otherwise similar).

Once in the early 1980s, when I was doing public opinion surveys in Latin America for the State Department/US Information Service, I took the job oriented version and, instead of teacher/counselor it said statistician. I freaked. That was the last thing on earth I wanted to be. So I plowed deeper into the dissertation that I was also working on, so that I could go become a teacher/counselor. Sometimes these things are more than online parlor games with your friends.

So, following is the current online test version's description of my supposed personality profile. It sort of fits, although I have seen more useful summations of it in versions past. But this is the Facebook version for the online masses.

You Are An ENFP

The Inspirer

You love being around people, and you are deeply committed to your friends.
You are also unconventional, irreverent, and unimpressed by authority and rules.
Incredibly perceptive, you can usually sense if someone has hidden motives.
You use lots of colorful language and expressions. You're quite the storyteller!

In love, you are quite the charmer. And you are definitely willing to risk your heart.
You often don't follow through with your flirting or professed feelings. And you do break a lot of hearts.

At work, you are driven but not a workaholic. You just always seem to enjoy what you do.
You would make an excellent entrepreneur, politician, or journalist.

How you see yourself: compassionate, unselfish, and understanding

When other people don't get you, they see you as: gushy, emotional, and unfocused

2 comments:

Rolfo said...

When she saw this, Kristy said she wasn't surprised--both you and Mom's test results made a lot of sense to her in terms of the (glowing) impressions she has of you. Though all personality tests have their limits, she likes Myers-Briggs above others, because it's based on Jung's theory, which she digs.

FYI, she scores as an INFP.

I usually come out ENFJ, if I remember right--I'll have to take it again.

Gloria said...

Great! Another ENFP!

Teaching,consellor or journalist? I'm confused. And i havn't been close to any, that's why i have been struggling so much in mind. Anyhow, nice meeting you.