Thursday, May 29, 2008

Coney Island


On Tuesday this week, we went out to Coney Island. Rolf seems to really like the place and I had always kind of wanted to see it, too.

Here are Rolf and Kristy romping on the beach. They are still in that very cute part of new married life where they are always poking each other and giggling.

We walked around on the beach for a bit. It seemed a little breezy to swim, especially since I was still wheezing with a cold I got in Montreal the previous week, but a few hardy souls were in the water.

We also walked around the boardwalk, which is both tacky and charming, as it ought to be, since it is sort of the Ur-Boardwalk, the platonic ideal of this kind of beach thing -- as you can see in the next photo. When we used to visit Sandy's parents in LA, we would frequently hit the beach and boardwalk in Santa Monica, which is not quite this classically cheesy, but somewhere in the running.


One of my favorite parts of Coney Island was Nathan's Famous hot dog stand. I had previously encountered a small version of Nathan's Famous hot dogs in the Newark Airport, where it was easily one of the most interesting things there (which also tells you something about the Newark Airport). I get a real kick of these kinds of traditional popular eateries, both in the USA and elsewhere. I love street food in many places for the same reason, even though I know I sometimes take a semi-serious health risk in eating some of it. (It would be nice to say that a chili cheese dog at Nathan's cured my cold, but alas it goes away very slowly.)

1 comment:

hoolia goolia said...

Those Straubie-Moneys look so dang cute!

And now I'm having hot dog cravings...not fair ;)