Friday, June 13, 2008

The Gordons at Huntly Castle

My mother's maiden name was Gardner, which was a sept or affiliated branch of the Gordon clan. So we went to see Huntly Castle in Scotland, which my sister Carol had discovered in a family history guide.

Here is the ruin of Huntly Castle. The Gordons were stout defenders of the Catholic faith, but fell out with Bloody Mary anyway, so the castle got blown up once then, then again several times during subsequent battles, being held last by government loyalists against the Jacobites in 1746 . After that, it fell into disrepair. An interesting history can be found at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/huntly/huntlycastle/index.html.

Next is a photo of my sister-in- law Shirley, my brother Jack, my sister Nola and me in the natty tweed cap ;<)

Then we explored the town of Huntly a bit where we found a bit of cullinary eclecticism or hybridity at the Gordon Arms Hotel restaurant, which was serving Roast Pheasant McLeod and chili con carne. Welcome to Scotland!

No comments: