Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ferry 'cross the Skagerrak

Night before last we had dinner in a famous Bergen literary hangout, the Holberg Stuen (Inn). Named after one of Norway's most famous writers, one of Sandy's friends, Karla Karpinen, had loved to hang out there to hear all the interesting conversation, so we tried it. There were indeed six guys talking passionately about life, the universe and everything, over a long series of brandies. Not being drinking types, we decided to try the food instead, which was excellent. Sandy was going to eat the steamed sheep's head, prominent on the menu, but I talked her out of it.

Yesterday we got on a ferry in Bergen to head back to Denmark. Bergen is famous for having rain almost every day, often several times a day. So true to form, it rained hard as we pulled out of Bergen. Above is a view of the mountains outside Bergen as we pulled away in the rain (trying really hard to keep water off the camera lens).

There is a whole archipelago of islands outside Bergen. Many are populated for quite a ways away from the city. Made me daydream of living on one, which I have always wanted to do. It also reminded me very pleasantly of the area around Seattle and Bellingham, Washington, where my sister Lois and her sons Mark and Jon lived when I was growing up. One of my first outings on my own initiative in high school was to buy a ticket and fly up to visit them for a week or so for several summers after I had worked some kind of boring agricultural job most of the summer. Those visits were sort of magical -- the area was beautiful and much more cosmopolitan. Mark and Jon had found much more interesting music on the radio there (and from Vancouver, BC), so I remember getting introduced to John Mayall, Frank Zappa, the Fugs -- all sorts of people who weren't exactly getting on to AM top 40 around Boise.

Once we got a bit further south, the afternoon passed very pleasantly as we cruised along the Norwegian coast. It turned into one of the kinds of time I like best. We sat in a couple of chairs outside one of the ship's cafes, looking out a window. The scenery was great. We read, talked and I even got into a spurt of productivity on the laptop and got most of the slides for a public lecture for students I am doing next week done. There is something about the combination of reading, working, and watching things go by (while someone else drives) that is great. I actually enjoy airports and airplanes for that reason. Even better if Sandy is along to talk to. Here is the beginning of sunset over the boat, the Prinsesse Ragnhild (sister of the King of Norway) and then another shot of sunset full tilt on the water.

No comments: