Monday, September 29, 2008

Sic transit gloria 3869 Deervale Drive



When Sandy was 10, she and and her family moved to a then new California ranch-house at 3869 Deervale Drive in Sherman Oaks in Los Angeles. She grew up there and after we got married in 1978, we spent a lot of time there off and on. We stayed there for three months in 1979, while Sandy was having our daughter Julia, who got the distinction of being born in nearby Hollywood. We hung out by the pool, which you can see in the first picture, and admired the view out over the San Fernando Valley. With the kids, we walked down the hill to eat in Jewish deli's in Sherman Oaks and shop in some great used record and CD shops.

I guess all things pass. After Sandy's mother died in 2004, we ended up having to sell the house so we knew that it was out of our hands and into someone else's control. Still it was a shock to drive by today and see that the old house had been knocked down and a huge new white, rather ordinary looking house up in its place -- shown in the two photos here. I guess I had at least hoped that if something new went up it would be more interesting than the old ranch house it replaced.

1 comment:

Mike Thompson said...

Wow, was it really so long ago? When I first saw that house, I thought it was the most deluxe place, ever. Of course, I lived in a 900 square foot house with three siblings. My memory of the back yard doesn't include any trees or other shrubbery behind the pool to block the amazing view. The rattlesnakes were an exciting feature. I get a fair amount of wildlife at my house now -- coyotes, raccoons, skunks, ducks, woodpeckers, rabbits and many smaller things (and once a pheasant) -- but fortunately no poisonous snakes. I'm not sure when I last saw the house; I must have been old enough to drive because I know we once looked for Ellison Wonderland, but probably not much after that.