Monday, September 1, 2008

Welcome Darth Mazda


We have done a major car shuffle recently, passing along our venerable Subaru wagon to Rolf. That left us with two interesting extremes, a Chrysler minivan -- practical, comfortable, capable of taking along everything you need for a week of camping, etc. and a Mazda MX-5 Miata sports car, which had been my 55th birthday, you're not really an old guy yet, present. Very fun car, real sports car suspension, which I would have loved back when I got my first sports car in 1974, a very unreliable 1969 Fiat Sport Coupe, but which was a bit much for a 57 year old lower back. Plus you can maybe carry two bags of groceries in the trunk if you are careful.

So time for a new car, which is one of the things Americans seem to do on Labor Day. The Mazda dealership was conveniently having a big sale on one of the cars I was most interested in, the GT hatchback version of the Mazda 3. Which seemed to come mostly in black. I haven't seen so much black all around since going to a Nine Inch Nails concert with Julia in the 1990s.

So Sandy has christened it Darth Mazda, revealing her not very well concealed inner Star Wars fan geek. Sounds good to me, too, come to think of it. Not nearly as obscure as what she called our first Plymouth minivan, the Pelagic Argosy. (Inquire directly to her for an explanation.)

4 comments:

Christian said...

That seems to me to be a very nice balance of both practical and fun-related concerns. Are you happy with your new Sith lord (or Sith Underling, perhaps)?

Unknown said...

Lovin' the Sith Underling.

As far as the Pelagic Argosy goes, you don't have to apply to me. Apply directly to Google. The first thing that comes up is actually pretty cool.

Joe Straubhaar said...

I think of it as sort of the economy model Sith overlord, myself.

hoolia goolia said...

Yep. Sam is officially having Mazda-envy now after driving around in Darth Mazda last night. The car is awesome :)